Pesto and Bacon Acorn Squash Soup
You guys. I have created the most fantastic seasonal soup there is! It has crispy bacon. It has greens. Oh, that fresh basil! It has squash. It’s the perfect texture… Here I am bragging about my own soup, but it’s really that delicious. Since the winter months are upon us, it’s the perfect time for a thick soup to warm your bones. Florida finally gifted us with a cold front yesterday, and I’m hoping it’s here to stay. It’s soup season after all; and you just can’t gobble up soup when the temperature is 80-90 degrees, do you agree? Well, just what exactly does this soup have going for it? Let me tell you more, friends!
The consistency of this soup is off the charts amazing! Think split pea soup or green lentil soup. It’s so thick and…oh my, it’s just excellent! If you’re wanting a soupy-er consistency, just add more broth or water to the pot.
Bacon takes every recipe up to a new level, am I right? That’s why I upgraded the soup with some crispy, crumbled bacon. If you were also a fan of split pea soup with leftover Christmas ham added in (pre-AIP days) then I would add pancetta or ham chunks to your soup. Mmmm mmmm. If you try adding ham before I do, let me know. Tag me on Instagram.
I used the Four Greens Pesto from Meatified for this recipe. Gotta get my greens in! Her pesto recipe is the best I’ve had since going AIP. It reminds me of one I used to have that was made with Asiago cheese. Super flavorful! The pesto is what instantly dyes the acorn squash green. You can find the recipe for Meatified’s pesto here.
This soup is made in the Instant Pot, making it quick, easy, and efficient. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can easily make this using the oven and stovetop. Instead of cooking the squash in the Instant Pot, roast the squash in the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Add the roasted squash and other ingredients to the blender. Then warm the blended soup in a stockpot on the stovetop.
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tbsp Four Greens Pesto by Meatified
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups bone broth
- 2 slices bacon
- fresh basil (for garnish)
- Add 1/2 a cup of water to the Instant Pot and place the acorn squash on the rack inside the pot to keep it out of the water.
- Using the manual setting, cook the squash for 10 minutes.
- Once the squash is done, remove it from the pot and let it cool.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, peel off the skin, and scoop out the seeds.
- Chop the squash into chunks.
- Add the squash, pesto, sea salt, and broth to a blender and blend until incorporated.
- Add the blended soup to the Instant Pot and warm through using the Soup setting for 10 minutes.
- While the soup is warming, add the bacon to a frying pan and cook until crispy.
- Garnish the soup with fresh basil and top with crumbled bacon. Enjoy!