Chicken Liver Beef Burgers
Beef liver or chicken liver – eating either one can pose a trial at mealtime. Liver is one of those foods that comes to the table with numerous amazing qualities, yet is so difficult to eat. If you are like me and did not grow up eating liver, you know how hard it is gagging and trying to swallow beef liver pate or chew through a fried chicken liver. The only way I’ve been able to include liver in my diet and grow accustomed to it is by mixing it with ground beef. Think of all the recipes you make with ground beef. Most likely, you can add ground liver to it; and it will only slightly change the taste and texture. If you have trouble getting liver down…then simply put, the key to eating liver is hiding it. These Chicken Liver Beef Burgers are the bomb!
- Make sure to buy good-quality liver, in other words, pastured/grass-fed.
- If you tolerate the stronger taste of beef liver, go ahead and switch out the chicken liver for beef liver.
- Serve with your favorite burger toppings. My favorite AIP burger toppings are sliced avocado, Mickey Trescott’s BBQ sauce from The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook, caramelized onions.
- Serve as a bun-less burger, a lettuce-wrapped burger, a toston burger, or a portobello mushroom burger!
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- ½ pound of chicken livers
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash the livers and pat dry.
- Grind the livers in a blender or food processor.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground chicken livers, and spices.
- Form mixture into hamburger patties and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake the burgers for 20 minutes.
- Add desired toppings, and enjoy!
This recipe was featured on the Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable!